Dramatic SFB: Alliances and mechanics

Matt matt at mattnet.org
Sun Aug 22 17:13:51 PDT 2021

> I personally have no idea how to address this problem, but I would
> really like to participate in the discussion.

By all means, Ken, Please participate.

Speaking as the moderator of the campaign(s), My approach has been to
allow "Market Pressures" dictate the solution.

This diplomacy is an extension of personal interest: Nobody wants to
spread themselves thin and perhaps not get anything for it. So they talk
to their neighbors in an attempt to get a sure thing for little effort,
so they can send big fleets to the ones that they are less sure of.

My solution, whether it's been working so far or not, whether this
discussion and others like it are the solution working itself out or
not, has been to allow the players make their own solution and implement
it inside the campaign.

I have been expecting that this solution will be the other side of
Diplomacy: "I don't like that you're 3 times my size. So I've talked to
my neighbors so they'll leave me alone, and I'm sending all my stuff to
your borders."

Another tactic I've expected to see, is where all of the non-allies of a
large player will shut down the borders of the offender. Eventually,
such a person will have only borders with people they have allied with.
Either they attack their previous allies, or they have a game with no
battles. And who's to say such allies won't double-cross them? The
noborder reward is intended to provide a balance against such players.