Dramatic SFB: Hidden mines

Matthew matt at mattnet.org
Mon Jun 11 17:03:04 PDT 2018

> I was just surprised to find out that the campaign was using hidden
> mine placement.
> I personally like narrow salvos.. many do not.
> I would also lobby for energy balance due to damage...

Currently, the ship has sailed on these issues. I'd like to direct your
attention to the SFB Rules of interest
<http://sfbdrama.mattnet.org/docs/rules.html#sfb%20rules> in the campaign.

tl;dr: Give the campaign a chance and then hit up the mailing list after
the campaign is over.

The Secret placement of mines have been part of the campaign since it's
first public game, where the Romulan player of the time had successfully
used his Jedi Mind Tricks on the rest of us, to get us to include it. As
it's optional, I'm not surprised to see that players might want it out.
But it's in, it's marked in the campaign rules as in, and so the best
recourse is to minimize it's effects on you (or maximize it's effects on
your opponents, in hopes that *they* want it out.)

Narrow Salvos are marked as "Advanced", not "Optional". Therefore the
game is already balanced with those figured into things (the same way it
is for self-generated EW.) Personally, it never crossed my mind to
remove Narrow Salvos; they seem to me to be as much part of the game as
fancy shuttles and t-bombs.

Energy Balance Due to Damage, Leaky Shields, Critical Hits, Pre-Plotted
Movement, and so on, also are not part of the game as called out by the
campaign. If you want to include some certain optional rules or leave
out some certain non-optional rules, then I'm willing to entertain a
discussion.

**However**, the middle of ongoing campaigns are not the time to go
changing the rules. There is usually a short haitus between major
campaigns (in this case, the Attrition War is a major campaign. The
other two campaigns are to support it.) That is the time to discuss
changes to the campaign structure, allowed rules, disallowed rules, and
the aim of the next campaign(s). We've successfully done that in the
past: Scenarios used to include rewards and penalties to your income
stipend, pre-laid minefields have been officially disallowed, Tugs and
pods have been added to your build lists, changes to the Command-Rating
format had been discussed and knocked out, and so on.

So let things run their course. See if you can make the current batch of
rules work for you. And then when we wrap up the current iteration, see
if you can convince the others to your thinking (and bribe them with
cookies.)