Dramatic SFB: End of turn, and campaign for me

Matthew matt at mattnet.org
Tue Mar 6 20:04:11 PST 2018

> I will be retiring from this campaign.

Well Daniel, that is your decision and I will respect it. I'm sorry to
see you go. If you decide to come back at some point, I would be pleased
to let you back in.

> There is just no way I can beat the QWTs.

Well, do what your empire does best! Form up in an echelon and run the
bird-brained fleet down! The ISC are very much geared to the echelon.
You have more offensive phasers than he does, take more internals to
kill, and have heavier torps than he does.

I presume you know how the echelon works: The gunline is made up of
expendable ships. You trade those ships for a chance to get close and
rip up the opponent. If he targets the ships behind the gunline, then
the gunline can act as a defensive screen: targetting the torps with
phasers to degrade them.

The other option allowed to you is to shut down all of your borders with
the Paravians. Whenever a NOBORDER reward comes up between you two, jump
on it! Eventually (but probably not right away) you will have no more
scenarios with the Paravian, and you can turn your attention to beating
up on someone easier for you to shoot at. That has the added advantage
of being that much closer to shutting the Paravian player out of the
game, as a player is bumped when they run out of all of their borders.

> allowing races like the Pavarians and Frax to be playable, it not
> really fair.

Really all I can say here is that the campaign is about having fun. If
people have fun playing oddball empires then more power to them.

I admit that not all empires are created equal. The empires able to
field a full fleet of combat and specialty ships are very likely to do
well in this campaign format: The Federation, Klingons, Romulans, ISC,
Hydrans, Paravians, etc. "Niche" empires who are one-trick-ponies or
lack a fully-developed fleet are unlikely to do well: The WYN, Tholians,
Borak, jindarian, and Peladine. Those empires that have large weaknesses
in their technology are also likely to be disadvantaged: The Seltorians,
Orions, and Andromedans. But some people like playing those
"disadvantaged" empires (I would have taken the Andros if someone else
hadn't already picked them.)

Really it boils down to what the players think is fun. If most or all of
the players didn't like the Module-C6 empires, I'd chuck them out. But
usually the sentiment has been towards letting in as many modules as I
can. (The only reason the list of modules allowed is only about 2/3s of
what ADB has published, is because I've kept it down to what I
personally own. For example you won't see an Omega version of this
campaign in the near or far future, unless someone else picks up the
code and does their own database.)

So you can leave the campaign if you like. I'd rather you decided you
wanted to play a different empire instead (if you are that unhappy with
how the ISC are panning out for you.) If you later decide you have a
hankering for regular play with a varied set of skill levels and
situations, then come on back to us.