Dramatic SFB: Flexible Escorts

Matt matt at mattnet.org
Tue Feb 23 18:03:25 PST 2021

> Matt your own description disagrees with your interpretation of the
> SUP-A. You say it is a true carrier simply based on it having 8
> fighters. But...it absolutely did not sacrifice anything to achieve that.
>
> *True carriers* are ships that have sacrificed weapons and power to
> hold fighters

Perhaps true in some cases. I was attempting to speak generally when
defining the various carrier types. True carriers also encompass Scout
carriers, Interdiction carriers and patrol carriers.

> The SRVs again...sacrificed nothing. They were built as Survey ships
> with really crappy weapons and scout channels severely limiting their
> usefulness. They came with a couple fighters some times. Then as the
> war broke out they just shoved more on. At best no matter how many
> they carry they are simple hybrids.

SRVs are defined as carriers the same way as anything else is defined as
a carrier. If you want to quibble about the definition of true carriers
as above, consider the below list.

Gorn SRV: 8 fighters. A true carrier per (S8.322).

Fed GSCv: 2 fighters. A casual carrier per (J4.62).

Fed CVL: (A GSC with 8 fighters). A true carrier per (S8.322).

Hydran SRV: 8 fighters. Hybrid carrier per (S8.321).

Kzinti SRV: 4 fighters. Hybrid carrier per (S8.322).

> The Hydran Ranger becomes a True Carrier at 9 fighters. What escort is
> it required to have?

None. It is a hybrid carrier, per (S8.321)

> Your interpretation and issues I understand on the stand alone ships
> that carry fighters. It seems unbalanced. And without the war would
> have been. But the war made strange decisions for the ships. Yet it
> did not make them into full carriers requiring escorts. They were
> often just adhoc concepts that since we could we did. Making them at
> best hybrids no matter how many fighters they had.
>
> Anyway, I am just saying, your reasoning seems flawed if the main
> reason is because it has 8 instead of 6 so it cannot be a hybrid when
> as the example...a Ranger is a Hybrid.

I'm just going by the rules as published. If you think that 8 fighters
(as an example) should be a hybrid carrier, making PVs, DDVs, DWVs, and
SRVs count as hybrid carriers, then talk to the people who wrote the
rules. In the mean time, I need to fend off the people who claim I'm
being inconsistent with the application of the rules.