Dramatic SFB: Flexible Escorts

Charles Carroll mastrvran at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 17:42:36 PST 2021

Matt your own description disagrees with your interpretation of the SUP-A.
You say it is a true carrier simply based on it having 8 fighters. But...it
absolutely did not sacrifice anything to achieve that.

*True carriers* are ships that have sacrificed weapons and power to hold
fighters

The SRVs again...sacrificed nothing. They were built as Survey ships with
really crappy weapons and scout channels severely limiting their
usefulness. They came with a couple fighters some times. Then as the war
broke out they just shoved more on. At best no matter how many they carry
they are simple hybrids.

The Hydran Ranger becomes a True Carrier at 9 fighters. What escort is it
required to have?

Your interpretation and issues I understand on the stand alone ships that
carry fighters. It seems unbalanced. And without the war would have been.
But the war made strange decisions for the ships. Yet it did not make them
into full carriers requiring escorts. They were often just adhoc concepts
that since we could we did. Making them at best hybrids no matter how many
fighters they had.

Anyway, I am just saying, your reasoning seems flawed if the main reason is
because it has 8 instead of 6 so it cannot be a hybrid when as the
example...a Ranger is a Hybrid.

Chuck