Dramatic SFB: War of Attrition

Matthew matt at mattnet.org
Thu Nov 29 17:26:58 PST 2018

Alright. So I've been hearing some pretty overwhelming hurrahs for
claiming a winner of the War of Attrition, and then starting a new game.
I want to give it the weekend to hear from people spend their life at
work say that they don't want the WoA to go away. However, it's looking
like I'll be closing the game Real Soon Now (tm).

So here's what I'd like to do for the next game (stop me if you hate the
idea):

Last turn of Y179 as the start year.

3 turns per year.

Everyone has monies to buy their fleet. No starting ships.

Fed & Empire Borders: you start next to the guys that F&E puts you next
to. The border counts are roughly the same ratio as F&E (but, obviously,
not the same amounts.)

The game ends after Y185.

X ships are not allowed (because the basic X modules just aren't in the
database.) There will be the opportunity to build some X-Ships. Please
don't take those opportunities - I can kill ships from the admin interface.

I can allow or not allow conjectueral ships as you guys care. This
mostly affects battleships, but some empires might see some of their
one-off ships being allowed (Hydran and Romulan come to mind.)

Scenarios will be getting another tweaking: Some of the EP penalties
will be replaced with NoBorder rewards.

The software doesn't support other forms of bookkeeping at the moment
(such as tracking how many ships were destroyed over the life of the
game, or whatever.) If you folks want to have public records of what
ships did what, I don't mind allowing legendary officers. If you want
them, I'll add them to the campaign rules as an optional rule.

If using Legendary Officers:

Use (U7.95) to calculate XPs.

At 1,000 XPs, roll on (G22.111) for that ship. Note that there is half a
chance that there will not be a legendary officer. The only roll for a
legendary officer is at 1,000 XP (more XP won't allow another roll for
that ship, but they will suck up their share of (U7.9513). Legendary
officers are *rare*.)

Legendary officers don't add BPV to a ship for any purpose.

Legendary officers cannot be transferred or promoted. If the ship
containing such an officer is destroyed or captured, then the officer(s)
and the XPs on that ship are lost.

PFs and Fighters won't have legendary pilots/crews. Nor will there be
any outstanding crews.