Dramatic SFB: Buying Star Fleet Battles material

Matthew matt at mattnet.org
Sun Dec 10 13:14:52 PST 2017

What to get (for the campaign):

The campaign uses rules and SSDs gathered from most of the modules
(there is a list near the beginning of the campaign rules.) In the worse
case, that represents what your shopping trip should entail.

But it's actually much easier than that.

The "Core" modules, with the most bang for your buck and hold most of
the rules you would use, is obviously the Basic Set and the Advanced
Missions. As I recall, if they're dated 1999 or later, then they'd good.
Most of the early R modules (up to and including about R4, off the top
of my head) are needed enough for table top that they pretty much
qualify as "Core". Module J, K, and M aren't technically needed much of
the time (well, I could make a case for module J) but they contain
several rules you will need if you do much of anything but a straight-up
warship-to-warship battle. J2, X, and some of the later R modules would
be good if you wanted to round out your rulebook. Getting the C modules
are mostly a matter of taste in empires, but it's hard to go wrong with
C1-3, and C6.

But wait! It gets simpler!

The Master Rule Book (MRB) contains the rules from all of the above
modules (except what comes in the recent releases, such as Module C6 and
J2) but excludes scenarios, the ship descriptions (section S and R in
the rules), and the non-alpha-octant empires (Omega, Magellenic,
Simulator, etc). If all you are doing is playing online (where SSDs are
supplied), then this will cover 98% of what you need as long as you
don't need carrier escort tables.

You might also note that the Module X stuff is not in the list of
modules in the campaign rules. Support for X ships is relegated to the
few that have been released in non-X modules. This is one reason why
this iteration of the campaign began in Y174 with 4 turns per year: it
means we have to go through more than 25 turns before X ships begin
really showing up. That allows us to play with the late-war goodies
without breaking the suspension of disbelief on X ships.

Where to get it:

I have done most of my purchases at ADB's website (the URL has already
been noted). DriverthruRPG and Warehouse23 are resellers that ADB works
with and releases through. You can get it from other places, such as
Amazon, but the economic model for these places are more traditional and
so you might see higher prices.

AFB is part of a class of game that has waned in popularity in the last
couple of decades. As a result, it doesn't make much sense from a
game-store perspective to devote shelf space to the game. I've asked
around, and gotten about a 60% name recognition off of SFB from my
FLGSs. That's pretty bad, since Magic The Gathering has a 100% name
recognition, and is merely 13 years younger.

ISC refits:

When published, the ISC were a post-general-war empire. Therefore their
SSDs represent the ships as they were in the post-Y175 timeframe. The
Section R for them (R13.0) lists several "negative refits" - things to
take away from the ships - to represent them before the pacification
campaign.

I was the one to do the lion's share of the ISC's general-war hulls in
the new SFBOL "shiny turd" format. I took pains to allow one to select
the proper refits in the client. If there is a problem with any of the
SSDs, you can either find the person who created them or post in the ADB
BBS in "Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: 3rd Generation
SSD Upgrade Project: Verification Folder" somewhere. Although, there's
about a 33% to 50% chance that I am the one who did any given "shiny
turd" SSD.

So here's what the there is to say about the ISC refits:

As these ships effectively entered service after the date of most
refits, it is assumed that they include all of the refits the ISC
considered necessary for them. These refits are shown on the SSD as
standard equipment; the SSD does not include shaded boxes or other
distractions regarding these refits.
There are no further refits of these ships.
However, for those players who wish to experiment with earlier
deployments of ISC ships, the 3 primary refits are described below.
(R13.R1) PHASER-3 REFIT: The LS/RS phaser-3s on ISC ships (size class 3
and larger) were added during the period Y165-168 in response to the
deployment of fighters by the Gorns, Romulans, and other races.
To use ISC ships prior to this period, delete the phaser-3s and reduce
the BPV by one point per phaser.
(R13.R2) REAR PLASMA TORPEDO REFIT: The rear-firing plasma-F torpedoes
on ISC ships (destroyers and larger) were added during the period
Y179-181 in response to the deployment of PFs by the Gorns, Romulans,
and other races. Some of these weapons were added as early as Y171 in
response to advanced fighters. but the refit was accelerated after PFs
appeared.
To use ISC ships prior to this refit, delete all of the rear plasma-Fs
and reduce the BPV by two points per launcher. (These launchers are
figured at 50% of their normal cost in the ship's BPV due to the
restrictions on firing and the orientation of the firing arc.)
Some of the first ISC ships to receive this refit were heavy and light
cruisers which received only one torpedo on each side. Players are
welcome to experiment with this limited initial deployment.
(R13.R3) PLASMA-S REFIT: ISC ships built before Y170 had type-G
torpedoes rather than type-S. These were converted to type-S in Y170,
and all new production included this type of torpedo from that date. All
SSDs show this type of torpedo. if using the ship prior to Y170, treat
the type-S torpedoes as type-G and reduce the BPV of the ship by five
points per torpedo. (It appears that the ISC ships always had swivel
mounts.)
This does not apply to plasma-Gs on size-4 hulls (DDs, FFs) because
size-4 hulls cannot have plasma-S.

(R1.R2) EARLY BASE WEAPONS: The bases shown in this and other products
are those of the General War. In some cases, the owning race did not
have access to all of the eventual weapons when the bases were first
built, and some weapons must be deleted or changed prior to these
various dates.
ISC bases: Prior to Y165, replace each plasma-D with a phaser-3-360°
(reduce BPV by 4 points each) and PPD with plasma-G (reduce BPV by 10
each); prior to Y170, replace plasma-S with plasma-G (reduce BPV by 5
each).