Dramatic SFB: Drone speeds and BPV

Boyd Steere boydsteere at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 08:15:17 PST 2017

Hi, David:

I've seen the same thing in the BPV costs for drone speed upgrades, and you
can imagine that this has more impact on a Kzinti player.  Long story
short: after running the numbers, I'm not too worried about it.

With an average of 20 drone spaces per Y175+ Kzinti cruiser or destroyer,
my medium-drone-speed ships cost about 10 BPV more than they should.  If my
average ship costs 100 BPV, that's a 10% ding to my empire's buying power.
For races like the Klingons, with 2 racks per ~120 BPV cruiser and 1 per
~90 BPV F5 variant, the higher BPV prices are about a 4% average ding to
their economy.

>From my conversations with Matt, he's appreciative of BPV accuracy.  But
among the Kzinti, Klingons, Wyns, Frax, Feds, etc. there are thousands of
ship variants that have drone speed upgrade costs built into their BPV's,
and each of them were manually calculated and entered when the database was
created.  At this point it would be no mean feat to recalculate them and
rebuild the campaign game engine.

In light of the difficultly of fixing things, I'm not going to sweat a 10%
hit to my economy.  If anything, I think about it as compensation for my
patient opponents who have to wait for me to move dozens of extra counters
around in a big battle.

- Boyd (pyrAmider)
Territorial Marking Fleet of Cheeth-Sub-Admiral