Dramatic SFB: New campaign starting

Ted Fay tedfay at icloud.com
Thu Jan 28 07:37:25 PST 2021

Thanks for the invite.  Sadly, I'm very short on time lately.  =(

Wishing I could retire...  and play more SFB.

On January 27, 2021 at 2:51 PM, Matt <matt at mattnet.org> wrote:

Good afternoon, gentlemen.

For those of you who are not yet part of the mailing list, I am Matthew. I maintain the sfotware that runs the Dramatic StarFleet campaign. You can find that software at sfbdrama.mattnet.org. If you aren't yet part of the mailing list I suggest that you join it, as most of my announcements go through that list. There is a link to the mailing list on the website.

After taking notes from the conversation that my last email spawned, I've started up a new campaign called "General War Operations". It begins in Y177 and will run for 8 in-game years. Any alpha-octant empire is available, except for the LDR and Orions. This includes all of the simulator empires (from module C4) and the "what if" empires of E3, E4, and C6. (though, since SFB Online is the game interface of choice, you might need to convince someone to make the SSDs for you, if you choose something really esoteric.) Currently there is no "PF Federation" empire.

Some fiddly details:
- 3 turns per year
- Any size class ship (e.g. the Seltorian Hive Ships (SC1) are allowed)
- No conjectural (unbuilt, impossible) units. (So no battleships except for the B10 and one or two other historical ones.)
- The first turn is spent buying your fleet. I won't be making your initial fleet and there will be no scenarios resolved on the first turn.
- "Standard" campaign rules. Nothing fancy with the fleet composition or scenario-assignment requirements.
- The campaign will last until the start of the 25th turn. The winner will be the person with the most BPV tied up in units. (BPV will counted at the costs given by the campaign software. This includes things such as fighters and drone speed upgrades.)
- Each empire will have up to two seats.

Typically, there is a large amount of players in such a wide-open format. Turns may take one to four weeks to completely hammer out each one. Additionally, players may join (or leave) the campaign at any point with minimal disruption.

To join the game, log into the website (sfbdrama.mattnet.org) and click on "The General War Operations Game" button (on the right side.) Then click on the "I want to join this game" button. Email me (matt at mattnet.org) or email the list with your top-3 empires picks. If you have any questions, you can email me.