Dramatic SFB: Age of PFs Orders

Matt matt at mattnet.org
Sun Sep 6 15:09:45 PDT 2020

> He has a total of 7 ships with 4 command type/ Leader equivalent ships
> ( they have Flag bridges etc!). Is this Fleet legal or has he got too
> many leaders/ Command ships. His ships are :
> CWL, CW, CW, CW, RMS (with 3 pods), BCH, DWL.
> To be honest it's the DWL that looks as if it should not be there by
> itself as there are no SC 4 ships to lead!

Flag bridge does not necessarily make it a leader variant. For example,
starbases (S8.27) and some Lyran ships (R11.5). Even leader variants
don't always have flag bridge - see most DWLs and FLGs. As near as I
figure, leader variants are marked as such only on the SSD (though
looking at higher-than-normal Command Ratings for the class can be an
indicator. Unfortunately, that also captures some PFTs and carriers.)
See (S8.36); it begins with the most complete definition of a leader
variant that is off the top of my head.

The RMS (regardless of the number of pods) counts as a Size-Class 2
ship. As such, it counts under (S8.331). One would think that (S8.363)
applies to keep it from being considered as a leader, but the RMS is
actually a dreadnaught-sized tug variant - which is still not a leader
variant. (note that the tug pods are never applied against a flagship's
command rating.)

The BCH very much is under (S8.333). This also excludes it from being
considered a leader variant. This also allows the BCH to be included,
specifically regardless of the inclusion of a Size-Class 2 unit.

So per (S8.36), the consideration of leader variants falls to the CWL
and the DWL. The CWL is leading a full squadron of CWs, allowing the DWL
to be included under (S8.361).

The above fleet appears legal to me.