Dramatic SFB: WoA

Charles Carroll mastrvran at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 10:15:50 PST 2018

Well conversely, the problem with making it where just sending a small
holding force, if that becomes a deadly thing to do. Which in reality it
is. You end up with only having forces sent somewhere that can reasonably
hold their own but then....in back water sectors, in most space novels,
since space does not have roads, being attacked comes down to the enemy
sending out forces that may get around your borders and come in other than
on a border. So it could certainly happen that an overwhelming force
arrives and destroys a garrison on an out of the way world.

The way we expand borders may be an issue. In that at first you have very
few scenarios. Then they start increasing. Then they start increasing a
lot. And the reason most people want more borders especially with allies or
someone you have a truce with...is that you get free points. So making it
where we are often constantly getting borders may be a bad thing. Now if
being aggressive...as in taking a scenario would give you a border or let
you keep your border and losing a scenario...removed a border or also some
other effect that was made something worse then maybe that would be better?
And if you start losing borders...then you may quickly find yourself out of
the game. Which is actually not a bad thing. Most of us do not want a
participation trophy. We want to know how well we are doing and be
recognized for our skill. Not just...everyone gets a cute little ribbon for
playing. So winners and losers make for a good competative game.

I know the concept behind this type of combat is not strategic but purely
local and just where your individual Captains are. But there are often
entire turns where not a single fight takes place against anyone. Which of
course is possible that you have peace in a region even if the rest of the
Universe is at war. But if so...you should be losing some benefit. As
mentioned you have no way to improve your crew or gain any kind of
legendary officer. And most Legendary Officers should maybe be tied into
the battle results. As in you win a battle and destroyed ships or even lost
you get Weapons officers. You lost or won a battle and ships were destroyed
or crippled. Maybe you got a Legendary Engineer who got some ships out or
repaired a ship Scotty style that turned the tide. You take a planet.
Legendary Marine. Your Fighters were engaged in a battle. During which you
found a Legendary Ace...which could happen win or lose. Or any officer
could be created during any battle where some actual possibility of them
using their abilities happen. Science Officer...Monster scenarios. So forth
so on. There is an online Dice program that sends out results. It could go
to a moderator who posts the results.

Anyway, if we only have ship building contests where we get to see our
ships as they come by in parade order. Than we are missing the point of
this concept lol.

Chuck