Dramatic SFB: WoA

Charles Carroll mastrvran at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 16:27:32 PST 2018

Yeah that I think is part of the problem Matt. In the Beginning....God
created...no wait...wrong speech. When we start out...we are weak. Maybe
can field a ship or two. For at least some of our borders. Some we just
cant touch. But see...one thing I learned very early. Always defend your
scenarios where you are the defender. Why? Because losing the scenario not
only means you do not get points but you could potentially lose so many
points that you have a negative balance for the entire turn. Potentially
anyway. But what is the penalty for not bothering to attack the enemy? Not
a thing. So...perhaps one change to consider is that in every scenario. If
you do not attack...then he gains ground and it costs you something. As in
real life...going purely on defensive has shown us that you will die over
time. That was why we developed counter attacks, and preemptive strikes and
various ways for a defensive nation to go on offense.

Obviously it can be argued that by attacking occasionally and defending
always, that this would be good enough. And maybe it would. But from an
actual war with someone. Allowing him time to just rest, recover and build
uncontested leads to potentially more of a threat than losing some far
flung border world. So perhaps we need to add when you are the attacker
that failing to win or even attack costs you something. In an alliance, you
have to balance the costs so as not to come out negative.

Anyway just another thought from depravity.