Dramatic SFB: Well....the first turn of the Convoy Raid is done.

Charles Carroll mastrvran at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 23:28:02 PDT 2018

Turn 2 did not improve for our stallwart defenders of the space ways.

On imp one...My CA launched a Sp and added another T bomb through his down
shield. Both T bombs managed to take out 16 drones...so that went well. On
Imp 2 I surprised the Frax who were lolly gagging along at 15....I was
going 20...and suddenly HETed. And came around hard after them and
immediately increasing speed to 25. We chased each other...with him tossing
out a total of 9...yes 9 Scatter packs....which were scattered everywhere.
I wont bore you with all the details...but I slogged through drone after
drone...ran out of labs...pretty much ran out of phasers...and still...had
17 drones closing on me on imp 26...His FTs were far out in front...he was
still at range 14...and I had 11 drones sitting 1 or 2 hexes away...A
couple of impulses earlier...he had managed to come just enough around to
blast my DDs number 5 shield again with another 6 disruptors...fortune
smiled on me and 3 hit....doing another 9...to my 7 point shield. I
reinforced...with both bats...and realized...he still had all his phaser 1s
left. I turned...and realized...I was now heading toward his
drones...faster...so I could probably run around them if needed...and
then...on imp 26 I realized...I have no way to lab the 5 that could be
aimed at my DD...I was going to move...straight...I couldnt turn...I
couldnt slip because I just had...and they were would end up at range one
after I moved...and as I stared in horror at the imp chart...I
realized...even for all my better speed...they...would move next imp and I
wouldnt. If they were on the Heller? It was at range 2 and was safe...so I
would survive. But what of the crew on the Harkness?  I made the only
decision a Captain can make at times like this...I asked the Frax if they
would accept my apology as I realized suddenly that the smugglers I was
chasing was obviously not these FTs but some other group probably near by.
He graciously accepted my off...the drones all ceased to exist...and we all
went out separate ways...I told the crew they did as good as could be done
against such massive drone concentrations...and turned and strolled off the
bridge....then ran for the bathroom and was sick for a while...as the
realization of how close I had come to losing a ship hit me. I will never
know where those mystery drones were targeted. Well I asked and he said the
CA...but...was he lying?

Anyway...today marks the first loss...as a Mercenary I have ever had. This
is not a feeling I want repeated. I Promise I will strive to do
better....now if you will excuse me...A gutter...with a bar around it is
calling my name and I have every intention to crawl into it.

Chuckles the Duckles.