Dramatic SFB: Ready to advance

Matthew matt at mattnet.org
Tue Feb 27 17:10:09 PST 2018

> Also, I see we have Deathstars now and they have numerous fighter and
> bomber bases. ... if someone doesn't have bombers deployed in Y175 ...

There are only a few races who don't have (heavy) bombers at all, and
most have bombers of some sort in Y165-Y167. So largely this is indeed a
Hypothetical question at this point.

But I have been considering what to do with this scenario in those years
where there are no bombers (and such would apply to those cases where
there are no bombers at all.) All I have are notions, but generally my
thoughts run these directions:
* Keep the Fighter and Bomber bases, regardless of YIS dates (call it a
proving ground for the tech as it is being developed.)
* Heavy Bomber bases would be stocked with 6 Medium Bombers (if there
are no heavies, but mediums are available.)
* If no medium bombers, then the bomber bases (of both stripes) would be
stocked with 12 fighters. The mix of fighters would be that found on the
FGB-Ms.
* if no fighters at all, then all attrition unit bases would swap out
fighters with an equal amount of appropriate-year Admin shuttles.

> I assume the S8 overall attrition unit limit remains in place?

Consider the scenario:
3x FGB-Ms == 3 squadrons
3x BHBs == 3 bomber squadrons (of 6 bombers each)

Equals 6 squadrons, or 72 fighters. Quite alot, and technically violates
(S8.32), even if the moon as a whole is counted as an Oversized (OS)
carrier. But in the spirit of a "That's no Moon" Death Star with
zillions of TIE fighters, by pointing to (SH29.0) as a "He did it
first!!" (module K, for the curious), and by claiming
campaign-right-to-do-what-we-want, We have a Death Star scenario (which
is the rarest of any scenario in the rotation.)

So that is where I draw the line about the player not being able to
field any carriers (though I should widen that to include no PFs. Even
by the Mech Link refit.)