Dramatic SFB: Rule clarification

Daniel Crispin calendyr at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 13 19:54:21 PST 2018

Ok, so what happens when the scenario rules are completely opposite to the monster rules?

For exemple:  We are playing a monster scenario, a very special ally.

We rolled the monster was a Morey Eel of space

Here are the scenario rules with my notes for each....

SOLUTION: When a player accumulates 200 points of information, he may consult chart (S6.1) to determine how he can destroy the monster. (This chart is used no matter which monster is involved, including all banshees on the map. If a '3' (destroyed after 200 damage) is rolled for Banshees, then each banshee of the swarm is killed after 12 damage.) Result #6 is changed to read 'The monster cannot be destroyed'
This chart is not consulted by die roll, but by drawing one die-cut counter from six upside-down and shuffled counters which are numbered '1' through (Players may make such a set from blank counters or use six of the 'drone' counters.) The first player to reach this information level picks one of the counters and then places it (after noting the number) upside down in any convenient place. When the other player has accumulated this level of information, he may see the counter previously picked. (This insures that both players discover the same 'only way' to kill the monster.)
If the 'need more info' result is picked, go ahead and place it face down (as if it were the real answer). When the second player reaches the information level and finds this counter (or when the first player reaches the amount needed for another attempt), reshuffle all six counters and draw again.
If playing SFB online, it is sufficient for one player to roll in a fashion that the other cannot see the result, then create a marker in order to note the resulting number (an Andromedan DisDev marker is convenient. use the target hex as the die-roll.) Reveal the marker's information when the other player reaches the appropriate research level.
If the ship controlling the monster is destroyed, the owning player can maintain control of the monster from a shuttlecraft (if one of his is on the mapsheet). If his ship and all shuttles are destroyed, the monster returns to its randomly wandering nature.

So when reading the rules SM3.0 for the Morey Eel, it states that after doing 200 points of damage to it, the player can roll to destroy it.  Then on the subsequent rule it says that damage can be swapped for intelligence gathering and then rolling on the chart to know how to destroy it.   And finally it states that the scenario can be balanced by the formula N=V/125*200 where N are the base hit points of the monster, V the BPV value of the ship(s) being attacked.  This scenario is supposed to be for 1 player so the following questions ensue:

  1.  Do we use the intelligence gathering or the damage rule?
  2.  If using the damage rule, do we calculate the value of both fleet or just the defender's

COMMUNICATIONS: At the start of any turn after accumulating 200 points of information, either player (or both if they both have that much information) may roll a die in an attempt to establish communication with the monster.
This die roll is increased by one for every 20 points (or any fraction thereof) of damage scored on the monster by that player. It is decreased by one for every 25 points of 'information' in excess of 200 accumulated by that player. If the adjusted die roll is equal to or less than '1, ' the player has established communication with the monster.
Should both players establish such communication during the same turn, neither player has communication and they must roll again on the next turn.
Should either player disengage or be destroyed, the scenario is over and further communication die rolls are not made.
Successful communication by one player blocks the other player from attempting to gain communication.

Does this rule apply if we are using fixed damage rule?  We completed turn 1 and ignored the intelligence gathering.  But now I am not so sure that is what we were supposed to do.

CONTROL: Upon establishing communication with the monster, a player controls it. Within its own rules, the player will direct where the monster is to go and when it is to attack.

Exception: The Mind Monster (SM6.0) 'attack' because of the nature of their beings. They cannot decline to attack a ship subject to attack under their rules. A player controlling such a monster is effectively limited to moving the monster in such a way as to keep his own ship outside of its lethal radius and to try to get the enemy ship inside that radius. (The Space Amoeba (SM2.0) and Cosmic Cloud (SM4.0) have been replaced by others

The Moral Eel (SM3.0), Sun Snake (SM5.0), Planet Crusher (SM1.0), Banshees (SM13.0), and Space Boars (SM18.0) can all move and fire weapons as if they were a ship (within their own specific rules on movement and combat).

Same as above... does this apply to the Morey eel since it is only supposed to attack ships that attacks it?

VICTORY CONDITIONS: The player who destroys the monster or who has the last ship on the map, wins the battle.

What about the objective of the monster scenario.  The eel is supposed to fly towards a planet located 100 hexes away.  Is that still what we are supposed to do or does the Defender's ship become the target?