Dramatic SFB: Fleet limits

Matthew matt at mattnet.org
Fri Oct 13 17:46:35 PDT 2017

> I think it would be handy for me to understand the reasons behind
> fleet limits.

Primarily, Fleet limitations are to reduce the number of ships to a
level manageable by the players. Some players can't handle any better
than one or two ships, while others prefer squadrons of up to 4 ships,
while others can manage large battles consisting of 15 ships to a side
and an unending amount of seekers and attrition units. Secondarily, SFB
limits fleets to what would be "realistic" for the doctrine that ADB has
decided is correct. There are exceptions and extra requirements around
the margins to deal with game balance of certain systems (Web Casters,
Dis Devs, etc) and to showcase certain situations (the Fed's ability to
field more fighters when doing the 'Third Way', for example.)

Many campaigns attempt to create a different set of limits, usually to
limit battles to an even smaller amount of units. Occasionally there is
a wish to create a different doctrine of ship assignments. Sometimes
there are follow-on effects along these lines that are unintended.

> ... having larger scenario limits late in the campaign or by having an
> artificially lower CR limit early.

This effect is already baked into the SFB system. Very early ships just
don't have the Command Rating values to deal with large fleets.
Additionally, fighters and seeking weapons don't show up with as much
profusion until the middle-160's. The problem is pretty much solved.

When speaking of limiting ships in scenarios, I intend to create limits
to mirror a "realistic" situation. Case in point would be the Convoy
raids: Nobody would send a dreadnaught to escort a convoy. Similarly,
nobody would send a dreadnaught to attack a convoy (with the exception,
perhaps, of a "light" dreadnaught). Yet a dreadnaught might show up to
attack a colony. Particularly one with an orbital base or several
hard-hitting ground bases (a "PDU" in F&E terms.) So I intend to
selectively limit ships in certain circumstances.