Dramatic SFB: Campaign Tweaks

Roch Chartrand R.Chartrand at Videotron.qc.ca
Thu Oct 12 14:38:40 PDT 2017

Matt,

Oh boy! Your email did generate a lot of comment!  First let me compliment
you on you awesome campaign, when I heard about it I was skeptical on the
format of a scenario driven campaign, now I like this format and I would
play again with the exact same setup!  I understand that it is a work in
progress and people want to see or balance thing up differently.

About the structure:

No map, I’m 100% converted, I like the scenario driven encounter.  Would
probably add some new scenario, but the one I have seen up to now were
giving me plenty of diversity and challenge.

New Tweaks:

Not sure I would remove the Income scenario, but I would drastically reduce
the value gain in them.  If we remove the Income aspect in the scenario it
should be replace by a fix Income for everyone.  My reasoning behind this is
that a player not fortunate in his EP encounter could rely on this to
survive a few turn!

Fleet restriction, it a very hard issue in any type of campaign, I would go
with the command rating divided by 2, that would keep us more in line with
the SFB rule in the S section, so the biggest fleet available would 7 ships!

I’m not a big fan of a lot of campaign admin, so all the pay here, pay
there, kept track of
 etc.. don’t like, I like the current format.  If we
go into a multiple turn per year, we could then apply more than 1 turn for
ships repair according to the amount of damages or SC.

Possible Tweaks:

Buying your on fleet at start, I kind of like this ideal, we would need a
turn 0 than would generate no scenario, just to record our buy.

End condition:

I would like to have a no end condition and play forever!  This current
campaign king of ended at a point where I was getting momentum!  Kind of
disappointed of the ending.

Exploration scenario could be added randomly just like the current scenario,
but it would be a solo scenario and depending on the type and SC ship sent
to this scenario player would gain: EP, borders,  Income or even a ship.

Weapon status: should never be at 1 at any point in any scenario.  By
specified in scenario or roll between 2 to 4 have no difference for me, You
adopt the tactic according to it!

Campaign startup:

I prefer the historical border for start for sure, after that anything is
good!

Start date, I’m definitely a General War player starting the campaign
between Y172 ± 3 year is my preference, if it last long enough it could lead
us into the later War period with the X-ships.

Someone suggested a 12 turns Year set for each month of the year, I think it
would overkill this year set and we would never be able to progress in the
time line.  I would be ok with quarter turn (4) per year set, for the
seasons! J

2 thing I would like to see added/fixed:

-be able to unselect a ship from the scenario, went you are in the assign
order page.

-be able to transfer EP, just like we are able to transfer ships.

I will remain available if you have question about some of my suggestion,
and looking forward to start the next campaign.

Roch C.