Dramatic SFB: Spreadsheet comparing Income and EP rewards

david at jannke.com david at jannke.com
Tue Oct 10 12:05:11 PDT 2017

I was curious how INCOME compares with EP awards so I built a spreadsheet to compare. Here's a copy to run your own tests on: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LA6mjxj-LzwV8GVZIn66O5iKL6yQ-lPgCe9pPtwQXps/edit?usp=sharing
It's google docs so free. Feel free to change all the stuff that is red. If you fiddle with the spreadsheet outside of the red cells (and I encourage that) please make your own copy first.

Assumptions: A fleet wins 50% + its %BPV advantage in engagements over a generalized opponent. We are not fighting an INCOME empire vs. EP empire, we are racing them.

Breakeven given what I saw in my engagements is about turn four. If you can wait for nine turns you pick up a free cruiser for your patience. You only get to use that for ~4 turns though (assuming a 14 turn game).

It seems to me this might be useful to determine what Income really means for setting up campaigns.

Incidentally, I find maintenance can be used as a powerful balancing force. If maintenance is 20% then losing a ship means the victorious empire has an advantage for only 5 ish turns. Maintenance of 1% means you have the same accounting complexity and an advantage for 100 turns, essentially forever. It seems to me maintenance of much under 10% is more an accounting exercise than a balancing one given the campaign sets the rewards as well as the costs.