Dramatic SFB: Alliances and mechanics

Wayne Power wdpower at yahoo.com.au
Mon Aug 23 05:23:36 PDT 2021

Good to see a Hydran civil war, my Paravians must try to get in on that PFH border also.
..(I have played "Diplomacy", and sooner or later there is a betrayal)..     On Monday, 23 August 2021, 10:07:26 pm AEST, Brent Stanton via SFBdrama <sfbdrama at lists.mattnet.org> wrote:

 I can assure you all I have no nefarious "game-killing mega-alliance" intent in reaching out to one of my neighbors to seek a brief truce. I have infact turned down two perfectly good offers of alliance with great terms for what are essentially role play reasons. I have also made a habit this campaign of "leaking" approximate BPV values or ship names for one scenario each to my neighbors (much after the fashion of Wayne's Warp signature leaks) so it's not as if I'm depriving my neighbors of battles.
I think there's some really interesting counterplay to be explored if you discover a pair of players setting up a huge border and farming out EPV with each other. Forming temporary counter-alliances, trading or selling ships to players who are engaged against the offending mega-alliance, the risk of being betrayed, and so much more!
I respect that some of my fellow players are in the campaign to play the maximum number of battles possible - that's what would give them the most enjoyment. The campaign exists for more than just battles though, it's the context For those battles - My PFH is locked in a bitter civil war with Joseph's Tall Enough Hydrans, and I'm less likely to retreat even when the odds are long because we'd "rather take those Monarchist Hydrans straight to hell with us!" Or my defeated RN+ "HPS Tenacity" searching for an opportunity for redemption after being routed by Matt's Just Colonial Commission.
I don't think it's any more appropriate to ban diplomacy because it has the potential to complicate things with an additional dimension of gameplay than to ban CV's or PFT's for the same reason.
Dramatic SFB campaign chatter list
http://sfbdrama.mattnet.org
SFBdrama at lists.mattnet.org