Dramatic SFB: Flexible Escorts

Marcel Trahan marcel.trahan91 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 20:53:03 PST 2021

Hi Matt,

I have a question on the following sentence that you wrote earlier:

*Romulan Heavy Hawks*: Go by the above carrier definitions. The Superhawk
(SUP) is a true carrier because it has more fighters than are allowed as a
hybrid carrier. If you want a Hawk hybrid carrier, make Farhawks instead.

Why would the SUP be considered a true carrier (it carries 8 fighters) when
the Farhawk is a hybrid carrier (it carries 12 fighters). Both ships should
be considered hybrid carriers since they both have their carrier version
which are the SUB and the FAB. SUP and FAK both dont require escorts while
the SUB and FAB do need escorts.

On G3 MSS, all ships that do carry fighters be it Casual, Hybrid or True
carriers have the V mention. Only the ship description specifies which ones
do require escort. This is further expanded in G3A and even more in the
MSSB's.

With the exception of the Hydrans, very few ships have the ability to carry
fighters without having escorts. Some never had escorts (SUP, FHK, a few
Feds) and can have escorts but they are not mandantory (mainly SRV's, fast
carriers (Only when alone on raid), a few scout carriers). What about
Jindarian rock ships when they can have from 4 to 12 fighters in addition
to up to 6 bombers. Those are considered hybrid carriers (THey dont require
escorts)

In addition S8.315 does not invalidate S8.311 in my own opinion. If S8.315
invalidates S8.311, every ship that has a V in the MSS would need to have
escorts (including all hydans hybrid carriers and Jindarian hybrid
rockships) because S8.315 would invalidate the R section, where it is
listed if the ships requires escort. This would also include all BB's since
they carry 6+ fighters.

I will make a list of all ships that carry fighters (excluding hydran
hybrid carriers) and if they can have escorts and of the ones that can have
escorts but are not required to do so as per their ships description.
(there is not that manhy of them)

If you rule that the SUP-A/K needs escorts, i will have to either change my
initial build order or convert it to a SUB. FAK are not available since
they are UNV. The only reason i build a SUP is that it did not need escorts
as per R4.34 (same as the FAK as per R4.128)

Marcel