Dramatic SFB: Number of Scouts

Matt matt at mattnet.org
Sat Apr 11 18:20:24 PDT 2020

Hey there folks,

The question has been asked on the BBS and to me about how many scouts
someone can have in a battle. Per (S8.351), you'd need to have 8 or more
ships to have a second actual scout. SRs, PFTs, and (probably) DB ships
don't count as scouts for this count, so you could theoretically have
one of them in there as well.

Where SPP on the BBS notes that a campaign might force someone to field
a host of scouts in a fleet due to special circumstances. We are going
by S8, though, for our force structure. If this were a 4X game, then we
would either be getting our force structure from some other mechanic
(such as my beloved "BPV capacity" system) or with no enforced
structure. In that case, you could form a fleet with more scouts
(presumably because of some great need to escort orphaned scouts around
the front lines.)