Dramatic SFB: the new late war campaign

TJ Hooker metaldog09 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 2 10:33:33 PST 2018

I would like in as.... guess what? Federation pls

Some thoughts on WoA.. Traditional borders matter, big time, much prefer that, seems almost necessary. Attrition units need to be paid for in EP.  (maybe they already where, idk). It really is up to the players as to the playstyle they prefer, more of a diplomacy/ strategic level style, or a more tactical put it on the map (no or little diplomacy) style of play. My understanding is that most players want to get some battles in. So, the size of battles needs to be reasonable as well. Less Diplomacy from players also seems essential, securing all of your borders except one will in reality generate few battles, from personal experience.

Starting distances for the scenarios, while exciting are too close, why are we not using tac intel or something similar for start ranges? I get that starting at range 50 (scout detection range) leaves alot of options, like mostly disengaging.. but most players if they are taking the time to put it on the map will not disengage. I am not saying every scenario needs to start at range 50 or more based on Tac Intel rules, I am saying in general the starting ranges are simply too close, range 17-22 at turn 0 with large fleets is too crazy and somehow seems unrealistic to me.
Lastly, it seems to me that some ships I wanted to build were simply not in the drop down though the YiS was good. I wonder if ALL ships are in the drop down that are avail for all races in any given year or if it is just what Matt has been able to get in his database. Simply put, I would like to be able to build ALL units available Per Yis rules and prototype rules if that is possible. As a tangent to this I really like the overall use of CO's and refits we simply enough as well.

Otherwise I think Matt's and Frank's Campaigns have been a ton of fun. I generated some good battles, there are some interesting scenarios (that is a big deal), and in general the balance of EP vs risk/ reward seem good. I look forward to some good late war battles as the Federation.      - Justin